Monday 5 March 2012

The Mother is Sitting Phenomenon

During an especially harassed week, my dad, who loves to find hidden gems in secondhand book stores, presented me with "Aunt Erma's Cope Book- How to Get from Monday to Friday- in 12 days." The famous American humorist was also a stay-at-home mom who managed to whip out features and humorous books over a career spanning many years. Don't take my word for it- read on! I can see you nodding in agreement from here :)

For years, I have studied the phenomenon of the mother who sits down for a moment to get off her feet. From all I've been able to gather, a message goes out over an invisible network that flashes to the world "Mother is in a sitting positio...n. Proceed and de-sit."

At that moment the doorbell will ring, children will appear holding vital parts of their anatomy, the dog will dig his paws insistently into a leg, a husband will call impatiently for help, a pot will boil over, a buzzer will sound, or faucets will go on all over the house, and a loud voice will shriek, "I'm telling."

The "Mother is sitting" phenomenon is probably one of the reasons meditation never really got a foothold on mothers when they were the ones who needed it the most.----From "Aunt Erma's Cope Book: How to get from Monday to Friday in 12 days

2 comments:

  1. It was wonderful reading your blog as it has been to be a part of the Circle of Moms ( I'm guilty of being a passive member)!
    For one, both are very reassuring in a delightful way.
    Will check this book out.
    Thanks for sharing and look forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sonali,
    thank you for your kind words and glad to have you in CoMs and also visiting my blog!
    My goal is at least one post per week :) being optimistic here :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd luv to hear what you have to say!